Skip to content

One Bedroom Granny Flats by Matt’s Homes

December 5, 2013

A Granny Flat is a name that is used for a Dependant Persons Unit (DPU). A DPU is a building that is built on your property (this is not the main dwelling) for a person that is dependent on the person living in the main dwelling. The granny flat unit can consist of a full kitchen, full bathroom, laundry, living room and one or more bedrooms. They are basically a new home but are classified as a DPU on your building permit, the only issue with this is that once the dependant person finishes using the unit, it then needs to be removed. This will come up when you go to sell your property, however you might be able to reclassify the use of the unit by removing the laundry and cooking facilities, but you will need to check with your council.

Australian owned and operated, Matt’s Homes & Outdoor Designs Granny Flats are fully engineered and certified to exceed all relevant building codes. We provide a complete product and installation warranty. Our experienced staff provide an obligation and hassle free experience throughout all stages of the process including initial design, council approval, installation, and after sales service.

Importantly, Granny Flats are not something you can just organise on your own or with any company. You need to make sure that the company you use is a registered builder or otherwise you may cop a fine. Recently, a media release by the Building Commission revealed that one building practitioner was fined over $20,000 at his suburban property, because he did not have the relevant insurance, or even a building permit or registration. Before you sign any agreements and organise a company to install your granny flat, you must check that they are registered with the Building Practitioners Board as a domestic builder and the relevant insurance is in place. This is particularly relevant for any renovation or building works over $5,000. This example highlights the importance of making sure any work performed around your home is carried out by a registered building practitioner. You can always check this via the Building Commission website.

The good news is that Matt’s Homes and Outdoor Designs are registered builders and this means that you will get quality guaranteed work, with a 6 1/2 year warranty on all works carried out. We also work with a trusted building surveyor regarding all the technical provisions that apply.

Watch our video to view our one bedroom range of granny flats and visit us at Matt’s Homes granny flats or call today on 1300 62 88 77


From → Blog Posts

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: